“As practice makes perfect, I cannot but make progress; each drawing one makes, each study one paints, is a step forward.” Vincent van Gogh The Art department offers a warm welcome to all pupils, parents and visitors. The Art department offers a caring and supportive environment that enables all pupils to explore their artistic potential. Pupils are encouraged to consider a wide range of approaches when expressing themselves through different materials, media and techniques. The Art department will help pupils gain knowledge and understanding of art, craft, design and media. They will study the role of art today, in the past and in different cultures. Pupils will also develop an understanding of the different roles, audiences and consumers for art, craft and design. They will experience different work practices and look at relevant processes and equipment too. GCSE Art and Design is excellent preparation for progression to A Level in Art and Design or BTEC Level Three Art and Design. Depending on the options pupils take, it could lead towards a wide range of careers in the art and design field, including fine art, new media, games development and games technologies. Children see before they speak, make marks before they write, build before they walk. Their ability to appreciate and interpret what they observe, communicate what they think and feel is the future of art. Subject Key Aims
- To develop in our pupils an awareness of their cultural heritage and an understanding of the importance of the visual arts and design in today’s society.
- To improve pupils’ visual awareness by developing their observational skills and expressive and investigative drawing abilities.
- To promote the acquisition of skills in problem-solving, presentation, organisation, self-discipline, critical analysis, communication and technology.
- To develop in our pupils a confidence in their creative ability and technological capability.
- To prepare our pupils for GCSE examinations, and advise on subject choice and career paths.