Einstein said, “Imagination is more important than knowledge.” Let your imagination expand and take you to new and exciting places in Drama.
Drama enables students to acquire skills that are sought in a huge variety of workplaces and professions such as; communication skills, confidence, self-motivation, team work, good personal presentation, problem solving and commitment.
Drama seeks to tap into the student’s whole potential and stretches, strengthens and challenges thoughts, ideas, imagination, emotions, social awareness and physicality.
We work in partnership with the best in the industry and our pupils have worked with The Royal Shakespeare Company, The National Theatre, The Lowry and The Donmar Warehouse.
The National Theatre have performed The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night at our school to the enjoyment of our pupils. We have regular theatre trips and occasional cultural trips to London.
Subject Key Aims
- To develop confident and articulate students through a range of practical activities and public performances.
- To expand imagination and challenge familiar ideas, changing, adapting and reinterpreting information in new and artistic ways.
- To encourage empathy, compassion and tolerance by playing a variety of different characters from a range of cultures and times.
- To understand the historical beginnings of Drama, how it developed and the impact it still has today; including looking at roles within the theatre as a whole such as set design and lighting.
- To study live theatre and be able to explain the choices made by directors, designers and actors.
- Introduction to drama techniques.
- Myths and Legends.
- Greek theatre.
- Romeo and Juliet.
- Commedia del’Ante.
- Devising topic: Discrimination.
- Live Theatre Review.
- Devising Topic: Bullying.
Year 9 AQA GCSE Drama
Pupils will start to develop and refine their skills.
- Introduction to physcial theatre.
- Introduction to practitioners such as Stanislavski and Bretch.
- Perform scripted play.
- Create a devised performance.
- Review live theatre.
Year 10 AQA GCSE Drama
- Perform Scripted Play.
- Refine performance skills.
- Create a devised performance with written log.
- Review live theatre.
Year 11 AQA GCSE Drama
- Devising Performance with written log.
- Scripted Performance.
- Blood Brothers.
- Reviewing Live Theatre.
Please contact Mrs Shaw on 01942 767040 to discuss anything further regarding our school curriculum.